Friday, September 6, 2013

Shari's Orange Chicken & Brown Rice

First, I started my 1 cup of brown rice in a little pot with 2 cups of water, 1 Tb of oil, and salt to taste. I brought it to a boil and then let it cook on low for thirty minutes. I loaded 12 chicken tenders onto a baking sheet and stuck them in the oven to cook at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.


Next, I cut up a vidalia onion and threw it in a thoroughly sprayed skillet. I sprinkled some red pepper flakes over the onion, doused the onion with clover honey, and grated some orange zest into the conglomeration.


I chopped up a whole orange including the peel and added it to the skillet.


I put the mixture on high, added water, added more red pepper flakes and honey, and salt.


I combined the chicken and sauce when they were both done cooking separately. I served the orange chicken over the brown rice. So fresh and nutritious.



4 comments:

  1. Ok, sorry for all the questions :)

    Leaving all the orange rind on, wasnt that hard to eat? I'm thinking it would have been tough, but looking at your last picture did it get pretty moist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the orange peel. Lots of flavor and fiber. It was pretty soft. My husband thought it was bitter. He does not typically care for things such as brussel sprouts, pickled beets or other things with strong obtrusive flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with him! I'm a very picky eater and honestly, I wouldnt have been able to stomach all the orange rind.

    ReplyDelete