Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fast Easy Healthy Salmon Cakes Dinner

Last time I went grocery shopping I arrived home with an item that I had paid for unbeknownst to me, that I had not picked out. The item was canned salmon! Oh my! I couldn't believe it. I'd arrived home on previous occasions, when to my deep dismay I would discover that I had left some items at the store,  which I had purchased. But not in my life had I ever purchased a random mystery item. I inspected the item at once to see if there was anything suspicious about it. The whole situation seemed rather fishy. I mentally noted that there was a salmon burgers recipe on the back of the can. That could prove helpful. My dilemma reminded me of a time when my Mom told me she made salmon patties for a nice cheap meal when she and my Dad were newlyweds, and my Dad was a grad student. My turn had come.


The recipe on the back of the can called for salmon, breadcrumbs, dijon mustard, lemon juice, egg whites, and green onions.


I smashed some croutons and crumbled a hot dog bun to use for my breadcrumbs.


I took the bones and skin off the salmon, then added worcestershire sauce instead of lemon juice. I didn't put any onions or garlic in my recipe. I added a little dijon mustard and a couple eggs. I used a couple whole eggs instead of the three egg whites the recipe called for. I couldn't think of a good reason to chuck the yolks or to save them for later. The recipe said it would make four burgers. I didn't want four big burgers. I made a bunch of cute little cakes so they would cook fast. 



Anthony and I both liked the salmon cakes. I plan to use the leftovers for sandwiches tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment