Friday, September 20, 2013

Doing It All At Once!

Tonight I made a dessert, made dinner, started the dishes, made a soup for later, and had fun! It was a lot at once. It's probably more relaxing to make dinner, then make dessert later, a little less hectic.

I wanted to try a new pie crust recipe because mine just doesn't seem to quite be cutting it for me any more. No point in settling. So I googled "best pie crust recipe ever," and the first one that popped up was Arron Sanchez's pie crust recipe. And that is what I used for tonight's pie crust inspiration. Of course I didn't follow the recipe to a T. I didn't do any of the refrigerating or freezing. Ain't nobody got time for that lol. I also just used the flour I had on hand, self-rising, instead of regular like his recipe called for.
 
 



Selfie, taken with my Asus transformer tablet. My Mom was asking who usually takes the pics so I thought I'd show off a little, lol.
Mixing up the pie filling, table set, Anthony grading papers in the background.



I subbed regular milk for evaporated milk and used the pumpkin can for a measuring cup. I threw an extra egg into my pumpkin pie filling to make sure it thickened up enough since I didn't use evaporated milk.



I added red pepper flakes and oregano to my favorite brand of tomato sauce, Hunt's. Tonight I used their Four Cheese sauce variety.
 I love the way the table looks kind of artsy and fresh! Never seen salad served on a cutting board before, love it. Typically served in a bowl.
The romaine lettuce and caesar salad dressing complemented the shells and pasta sauce so nicely.
Clean plates! 
 I rinsed all my dinner and dessert dishes so I can load the dishwasher after I empty it later on.
 I combined tonight's leftover sauce with last night's brown gravy and rice pilaf to make a resourceful soup for later. I try not to waste.
The finished pie.
 Doesn't the pie and potholders combination look like a sunflower? 
The pumpkin pie filling turned out great! The crust was fluffy as I had imagined since I used self-rising flour. We had a good laugh over dessert over the fact that I had finished off the salt in the pie crust and threw away the container! Very savory pie.

Anthony's quote of the night: "My python producing (programming), pumpkin pie making, pasta producing wife."





2 comments: