Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Savory Sweet Potato Soup


I wanted to make something with the sweet potatoes in the bottom drawer of my fridge. First, I thought of making a soup out of sweet potatoes and succotash. My second thought was instead making a soup with sweet potatoes and red kidney beans. The latter seemed preferable since it would lend itself to being more savory than the former which with corn would be pretty sweet. I began making my soup but ran out of room for the beans when I poured a third of a gallon of spoiled milk in the recipe. The soup was great for something new and different.

First, I peeled the ginger and onion and put them through the juicer. Next, my dear husband gave me a hand chopping the sweet potatoes. They are a little difficult to manhandle. Then those choppings also went into the juicer.

Juicing the sweet potato proved slightly eventful. The machine balked at one particular chunk of sweet potato so I ran it back and forth a couple times to unclog the machine (the helpful advice of my husband). I poured both the juice and the pulp into a pan and then added milk. Upon cleaning our juicer while the soup cooked I found a thick 1 in. x 1 1/2 in. sized piece of sweet potato still whole.

While I was shooting photos of the pot of soup cooking on the stove, a volcano began forming in the pot. I quickly grabbed the pot, put it on the back burner then turned down the heat. Not a drop of soup was lost in the incident.

The overall flavor of this sweet potato soup was not unlike some curries I've had at a Thai restaurant, pretty, sweet, and savory. The fresh ginger and onion in the soup were so overwhelming in a good way that I hardly needed salt and pepper. Upon adding these two however, this soup did become even more savory. We crumbled toast on top for texture and balance. 

Because of the smashing success of my flavor combination, I can't wait to use the leftovers from this meal! I might try making a chicken sweet potato curry with the rest of the soup, and then put that over rice. 

Savory Sweet Potato Soup:

2 Sweet Potatoes
1 Onion
1 Piece of Ginger
Water
1/3 a Gallon of Milk











No comments:

Post a Comment