Friday, January 31, 2014

Green Tea & Lime Rice Bowls


So I may have decided on this flavor profile after Robert Irvine tweeted a link to one of his website posts on healthy substitutes for common foods and seasonings. I thought of using green tea as a seasoning and was looking forward to trying it with rice. The lime was an afterthought. 

I did google "can you eat green tea leaves" before I tried making green tea & lime rice bowls. The first article I read was from the world's healthiest foods. The answer is yes.  Then, after my curiosity peaked while reading that article when I came across the word "astringency," I googled "astringent" and read a write up about astringents on Wikipedia. What I read there made me pause and think about how much green tea & lime rice I should consume at a time since I am currently a breastfeeding mother.

Well, I made the specialty rice. After doing so, out of curiosity I googled "greentea rice" being pretty sure I was not the only one making it. It seems any time I think I'm trying something new there are pics of it all over Google Images. Sure enough, I checked, and everyone's making it! As Ecclesiastes 1:9 says, "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." However, nobody that I know has ever made green tea rice that I am aware of. An alternate name for this post could be "Sour Rice." It was that far out, but not bad, not bad.

Green Tea & Lime Rice Bowls:

Rice:

1 Cup Rice
2 Cups Water
2 Tb Green Tea Leaves

Add-ins:

1/2 Can Sweet Corn
1/2 Can Sweet Peas
1 Lime

1. Bring rice, water, and green tea leaves to a boil. Turn to low heat. Cover and cook 15 minutes.

2. While rice is cooking, pour corn and peas in skillet. Cut the lime in half. Squeeze lime juice over vegetables then stir.

3. Combine rice with add-ins in the skillet.










No comments:

Post a Comment