Monday, July 28, 2014

The Second Anniversary


After my husband left for the day to go study for his mechanical engineering qualifying exams, I discovered a text on my phone from my step mother-in-law. The text read, "Happy Anniversary, you two!" I thought, "Oh, it must be July 28th," because that is our wedding anniversary. I went about finding a cool picture to post on Facebook to post with congrats to my husband on our 2 years together. When I got on Facebook I saw congrats from my Aunt and my Mom! I remembered that Anthony had turned off his Facebook and Twitter apps on his phone recently so that he could actually get some good studying done. I also figured as late as it was in the day, that somehow, his phone had messed up and not alerted him that it was our anniversary. His calendar on his phone in the past had alerted him to such anniversaries as 1 month, or 6 months!

I decided to make spaghetti and meatballs for something kind of celebratory for our second year anniversary dinner. Growing up, my Mom always made the best spaghetti and meatballs! She made hearty, chunky, huge meatballs. Spaghetti and meatballs was one of those meals us kids would always request for birthdays. Our other two favorite requests were stromboli and lasagna. I searched online for a meatball recipe to get a list of ingredients before I headed out to the store. I went with a Betty Crocker recipe thinking perhaps it was the one my Mom used since I know she had a good orange Betty Crocker cookbook that was a staple in our kitchen growing up. The online recipe called for bread crumbs. I thought I had some in the cabinet. The recipe also called for Worcestershire sauce. I thought I could probably substitute soy sauce.

Upon returning from the store and starting supper, I discovered that I did not have bread crumbs. I did have . . . cream of wheat, grits, and oats. I went with the cream of wheat and soy sauce. Just before I started making the meatballs, Anthony came home early from studying! Baby Shastya and I hugged and kissed Daddy, then I told Daddy he should check Facebook, and that I had shared a post about him. When he got online to check, he immediately noticed that it was our anniversary, because Facebook notified him!

I made the spaghetti and meatballs. Dinner turned out delicious, but the meatballs seemed a little too refined and sweet. I'm just going to have to get my Mom's recipe!

Anthony and I are both okay with the fact that we both forgot our anniversary. We both had a great day, and enjoyed each other just like we do all the other days of the year!






No comments:

Post a Comment