Thursday, February 20, 2014

Scrambled Cornbread



So I was on the phone with a friend and started getting hungry. I'm not talking Bluetooth, I was on an old fashioned handheld flip cell phone. I was carrying my baby on my other arm. A plan had just conjured up in my mind of a delicious lunch. Still on the phone I went into the kitchen and started pulling ingredients from the fridge and cupboards: can of corn, half a leftover onion, milk, egg, cornmeal. I pulled a cutting board, a skillet, and a couple containers.

At this point I set the baby down so I could spring into action. I put half the can of corn in a little container for later, and dumped the other half in a larger container which I designated for today's lunch prep. Then I chopped the onion and added it to the Cool Whip container/ mixing bowl. I was planning to make some cornbread cakes an American southern cousin of the pancake. I had seen my Gramma from Alabama prepare them many times for my Grandad.

Then, baby Shastya needed attention. I scooped up my dear baby and after a short time asked my friend if I could let her go because I was getting a crick in my neck from holding my phone with my right shoulder, while cooking with my right hand, while cradling my darling baby with my left arm. My friend and I had been talking about blogging. She's looking to start a blog! About this time I looked at my mixing bowl. What was in it was definitely not batter. "Hmm . . ." I thought, "from the looks of it I could add some more milk, eggs, and cornmeal, and I could still turn out corncakes." "Nah, we'll just go with it. It will be fried corn and onions, similar to fried okra!"

I put it in the pan on high heat, but then I needed to change the baby's diaper. I turned the stove off. When I returned and cooked my food a little more, I noticed that my mixture of wet and dry ingredients was not sticking to the corn kernels and onion pieces. The skillet however was still full of delicious food which I dubbed scrambled cornbread.

Wanting to season my dish, I thought I would try a healthy substitute for salt, and doused my lunch with balsamic vinegar. Um, the dish totally called for Cajun seasoning. So I added that too. Much better. But you guessed it, my Cajun seasoning had salt in it. Salt was listed as it's first ingredient no less.

I must say that lunch was delightful. The Cajun seasoning even seemed to add a hint of celery to my plate. Yum!

Scrambled Cornbread:

1/2 Can of Sweet Corn
1/2 Onion
Egg
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Cornmeal










No comments:

Post a Comment