Friday, August 30, 2013

Sticking With Our Food Budget

I'm a stickler for goals and budgets (so glad Anthony doesn't mind). My plan lately has been to go grocery shopping every two weeks, and we are at the end of the second week. Sometimes my stubbornness with a food budget leaves a few things to be desired in the kitchen. Today for instance, we had some leftovers in the fridge however Anthony and I are both sick of those at present, and we are out of eggs and about out of milk.

We may have been short on a few ingredients but I could still make a frappe. I decided to make a mocha frappe for us for a snack before dinner, but at the last minute, I remembered seeing a pumpkin spice frappe on Pinterest that I've been wanting to make. I decided to do that instead. I put some leftover coffee in the blending cup, ice, pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, powdered sugar, and the end of the milk. I couldn't start the blender, but Anthony was kind enough to help me. Did I mention it was the very end of the milk? Maybe an 1/8 of a cup. We tried the concoction. Hmm. It was a little strong. We drank a little more. I exclaimed, "Nasty! Not going over well with this pregnant lady. I think I'll stick with mocha frappes for now." I did actually pour the rest down the sink. I may stick to my budget, but I don't torture myself with nasty food or beverages. We would just have to forgo a frappe this afternoon.

"Now what to make for dinner," I thought. I couldn't make pancakes, no eggs or milk. "Biscuits? Pumpkin biscuits?" And that is what I made. I followed my biscuit recipe but substituted pumpkin for milk. The biscuits were soft and flavorful. On my first helping, I spread honey nut cream cheese on my biscuits, and poured maple syrup over them. On my second helping, I spooned homemade peach butter from Anthony's family. "Yum . . ." Food budgeting can be rewarding and delicious.





No comments:

Post a Comment