Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pizza Fail


This evening, a fantastic epic pizza failure took place in my kitchen. My food wreckage included a cocoa crust, an unrecognizable sauce, and classic mozzarella. I am still assessing the situation to determine what all went wrong . . .

It all started with me attempting to make a nice gourmet pizza with a savory cocoa crust, and a specialty wine type sauce. I was planning to put black mustard seeds in my cocoa crust. I planned to use frozen grapes, chopped onion, water, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar for my sauce. Things went off course when I forgot to put the black mustard seeds in my crust, though my crust turned out fine otherwise (to my liking, not Anthony's). Overcompensating, I put the black mustard seeds in my sauce instead of my crust. As I was cooking, I caught a whiff of the aroma of my sauce, it was all grape, almost like grape soda. Yuck. At that point I was thinking we didn't want it to be too sweet, and spices are sometimes helpful . . . I added some red chili powder and cumin which conversely further derailed my experiment. It is difficult to describe the distinct hot pungent flavor of my bad combination. I might add that the pizza actually ate a little better for a late night snack pulled straight from the refrigerator where it had chilled for a few hours after dinner,  than when it came straight out of the oven for supper.

Will I ever make an attempt at a chocolate crusted savory pizza again? You better believe I will. I'm thinking maybe a honey Dijon mustard sauce would be a more complementary sauce for the cocoa crust, or a white sauce. Perhaps bacon would make a good topping in addition to cheese. I like chocolate and bacon together. Let me know your thoughts.





















No comments:

Post a Comment